Senior information technologist and technology manager with over 25 years experience in engineering and business information systems, who has successfully implemented complex, high budget projects in diverse industries.
Bachelor of Science, Computer Science and Information Systems – University of South Africa
Honours Level Management qualification (ACL), Cum Laude – University of Cape Town, Graduate School of Business
Diploma in Datametrics, Cum Laude – University of South Africa
Prince2 Project Management – OGC
|Business Architecture/Analysis||Database Design||Data Migration|
|Data Management||Data Quality/Integrity||OO Systems Analysis using UML|
|Data Architecture/Analysis||Data Privacy||OO Systems Design using UML|
|Database Modelling||BI/Data Warehousing||OO Systems Development|
|Pension Fund Administration||Wargaming||Investment Management|
|Historical Records Warehouse||Retail Warehousing||Factoring|
Non-Technical and Management Expertise
|Line/People Management||Recruitment||Proposal Preparation|
|Strategy Formulation||Budget Management||Business Case Preparation|
|Program/Project Management||Symposium Presentations||Medical Research|
|Vendor Management||Contract Negotiation||Client Management|
|Healthcare including Pharmacy||Telecommunications||Management Services|
|Medical Engineering||Military Engineering||Property Consulting|
|Financial Services||Retail/Supply Chain||Transport|
DVT (Dynamic Visual Technologies) 2010
Contract Senior Project Manager/Data Architect
- Management of a project for a client supplying healthcare solutions – locally and internationally – to both the private and public healthcare sectors
- Development of a greenfields application for management of healthcare facilities (including pharmacies), from primary healthcare facilities to sophisticated tertiary hospitals
- Management of a software development team of 22 people, including developers from India
- Data architecture based on the HL7 Reference Information Model and taking cognizance of HIPAA and other data protection and privacy regulations
- Cloud-based SaaS application using Java-based open-source technology
- Deployment on PC’s and mobile devices.
(Consulting, study, research and travel in Asia 2007 – 2009)
OLD MUTUAL, Cape Town, South Africa 2003 – 2006
Business Architect/Senior Technical Project Manager
- Recruitment and management of highly-skilled technical resources
- Creation of information architecture/conceptual data model for Employee Benefits
- Creation of historical records system utilizing the Old Mutual Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW) architecture, SAS warehousing tools, Oracle database and reporting tools
- Design of integration strategy for Old Mutual Employee Benefits
- Development of Master Data Management strategies for Old Mutual Employee Benefits.
OLD MUTUAL, Cape Town, South Africa 2002 – 2003
Program Manager – Data Migration to SunGard Compass
- Recruitment and management of over 40 resources in multiple project teams
- Cleansing and financial reconciliation of legacy data to ensure quality and integrity
- Creation of a migration engine, utilizing a Legacy Staging Area
- Archiving of legacy data
- Use of tactical planning for guaranteed migration success.
OLD MUTUAL, Cape Town, South Africa 2001 – 2002
Project Manager – Data Sanitisation
- Management of 6 sub-projects
- Management of 26-strong multi-cultural and geographically dispersed team.
OLD MUTUAL, Cape Town, South Africa 2001
Project Manager – Bankmaster project
- Migration and decommissioning of Bankmaster system in 6 weeks.
OLD MUTUAL, Cape Town, South Africa 2000
Program Manager – Offshore development for Old Mutual UK
- Vendor management
- Requirements definition in London, UK.
SUNESI CLINICAL SYSTEMS, Cape Town, South Africa 1999 – 2000
Integration Manager / Researcher
- Research into international trends in healthcare, international clinical systems and healthcare standards (in particular messaging standards)
- Production of a broad-perspective data model for healthcare, utilizing UML & Rational Rose
- Study of the healthcare process and optimization possibilities
- Specification of a Clinical Patient Record System and an Insurance Medical Examination system
- Management of development of a “concept demonstrator” for a Clinical Patient Record system
- Management of design of interface engine, utilizing XML tagged files, that enabled bidirectional data interchange with Sunesi’s diagnostic system
- Office-bearer for Health Level 7 (HL7) Southern Africa. (HL7 is an international standard for the interchange of health information.)
- Member of SABS sub-committee 71D for health informatics and the Private Health Information Standards Committee (PHISC)
- Establishement of strategic partnerships with other players in health informatics, both local and international
- Attendance of local and international healthcare conferences.
BSW Business Solutions, Johannesburg, South Africa 1998
Head of Project Management
- Held overall responsibility for all projects
- Managed all project managers
- Managed design of new ticketing system for Computicket using layered, open systems architecture
- Analysed requirements for a second call centre for ABSA Bank
- Analysed requirements for a call centre for Alexander Forbes insurance brokers.
ALTECH DEFENCE SYSTEMS, Johannesburg, South Africa 1995– 1998
Project Manager – Wargame Simulations
- Managed geographically dispersed team of engineers, scientists and mathematicians
- Managed multiple geographically dispersed vendors
- Worked with an Israeli consultant to produce requirements specifications
- Produced budgets, forecasts and financial reports
- Delivered the system ahead of time and under budget
- Marketed the system internationally
- Presented a 40 minute paper on wargaming at a high-profile symposium.
ALTECH DEFENCE SYSTEMS, Johannesburg, South Africa 1995
Project Manager – Non-military Contracts
- Prepared proposal, successful against 9 other tenderers, for Anglovaal Mining Consulting Mechanical and Electrical Engineers Department, for a document management, imaging and workflow system.
INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR, Johannesburg, South Africa
- Program management, project management, analysis, design plus coding of selected complex programs
- Variety of technologies, e.g.: (Operating Systems) SCO Unix, AS400, DOS, OS/2 and Windows; (Languages) Basic, ProIV, Turbo Pascal, C, advanced Clipper
- Application areas – banking, general accounting, factoring, retail, supply chain, financial services, leasing, travel, manufacture, estate agency management and human resources.
- Clients included ABSA Bank, IGI Insurance, Micor Management Services, Investec Bank, Massmart, OK Bazaars.
NCR CORPORATION, International
- Started career as assembler programmer, programming mainly NCR mainframes
- Mainly system, rather than application, software
- NCR assembler (NEAT/3), FORTRAN, COBOL
- Gave programming courses in both NEAT/3 and COBOL
- Worked for NCR in London, Cape Town and Harare
APPENDIX OF MAIN METHODOLOGIES, LANGUAGES, TOOLS
|Project Management/Systems Engineering:||Java||Project Scheduler|
|Prince 2||OpenGL||Rational Rose|
|MIL-STD-498 (USA Dept. of Defense)||C||Enterprise Architect|
|UP/ Agile / Scrum||Clipper||Sybase PowerDesigner|
|Architecture/Design||XML||Erwin Data Modeller|
|Zachman Framework for Enterprise Architecture||Pascal||MS Access|
|Object-Oriented Analysis and Design||PRO IV||Oracle/MS Sql Server & other RDBMS’s|
|UML||COBOL||Multiple SQL-based reporting tools|
|Information Engineering||Assembler(NEAT/3 Levels I & II)||MS Excel|
|Structured Design||MS Powerpoint|
- As Business Architect and Manager of the Record-keeping project (at Old Mutual Employee Benefits), created a broad-perspective data model, for pension fund administration, that was used as a blueprint and basis for thought and discussion by many constituent departments of the organization.
- As Program Manager for Data Migration (at Old Mutual Employee Benefits) completed a highly complex data cleaning, migration and archiving exercise, exactly on original time and under budget.
- As Project Manager for the Bankmaster Decommissioning project (at Old Mutual Bank), managed to migrate the data from, and formally decommission, the Bankmaster banking system, in just six weeks.
- As Project Manager for Wargame Simulations managed a geographically dispersed, culturally diverse and contractually complex team of engineers, scientists and mathematicians. Delivered the system ahead of time and under budget. Also presented a well-received paper on training simulations for air forces at a very high-profile military symposium, which featured several international speakers, including the head of the NATO wargaming centre.
- Prepared a proposal, for Anglovaal Mining Consulting Mechanical and Electrical Engineers Department, for a document management, imaging and workflow system. This proposal was successful against proposals from 9 other tenderers, including a consortium of H.P.S. and I.C.L.